Creating Sales and Purchase vouchers in Tally is extremely easy and simple. They are often referred to as purchase entry in Tally and sales entry in Tally.
Every business requires sales as well as purchases to operate and function.
In Tally, creating sales and purchase vouchers is as simple as creating sales and purchase bills by hand.
You have to follow the same process which you followed while writing bills by hand. Nothing new to do.
It is just in a digital format.
In this post I’ll be explaining, how you can create a simple
- Sales Voucher as Accounting Invoice
- Purchase Voucher as Accounting Invoice
In this post I will be talking about passing entries as invoices only.
I have created another post for creating stock items using which you can pass sales and purchase entries which include items of stock.
For this post, I have limited the explanation to the invoice mode only for better and simple understanding.
The last thing I want to add before starting the explanation is that sales and purchase vouchers are 99% similar except that they are sales and purchase vouchers.
So let’s get into it.
Ledgers you need before Creating a Sales and a Purchase Voucher
Before you create a sales or purchase voucher, you need to create 2 ledgers. They are:
- Sundry Debtor – The person to whom you are selling.
- Sundry Creditor – The person from whom you are purchasing.
- Sales Ledger – A Ledger for recording sales. It can even be used for differentiating sales like domestic or international.
- Purchase Ledger – A ledger for recording purchases. Again, it can be used for differentiating purchases such as domestic or international
These ledgers are required to complete the entry whether it is purchase or sales.
Creating Sundry Debtor Ledger in Tally
Follow the below steps to create a ledger easily.
- From Gateway of Tally, select Accounts Info.
- Then select Ledgers
- Under Single Ledger, select Create
- Create ledger as I have explained below for Sundry Debtor and Sundry Creditor.
I am creating a ledger named Amit under the head Sundry Debtors as shown in the picture.
Creating Sundry Creditor Ledger in Tally
Create a Sundry Creditor Ledger the same way as you’ve created the Sundry Debtors Ledger.
The name of the Sundry Creditor would be Rohan.
So, create a ledger named Rohan under the head Sundry Creditors as shown in the picture.
So, by now, you would have created above two ledgers.
If you are still confused about creating ledgers, take a look at the pictures and select the options exactly the same in the pictures.
Or go look at this post in which I have explained in detail about creating ledgers in Tally.
Creating Sales Ledger in Tally
Let’s create sales ledger named Domestic Sales under Sales Accounts.
Take a look at the picture below to see the exact options for creating Sales Ledger.
Creating Purchase Ledger in Tally
Let’s create sales ledger named Domestic Purchases under Purchase Accounts.
Again, take a look at the picture below to see the exact options for creating Sales Ledger.
We have created all the ledgers for passing a sales as well as a purchase entry.
This is the time for creating actual Sales and Purchase Vouchers in Tally since we have created all that which is required to create the vouchers.
Firstly, we will create a sales voucher and then we will jump off to create a purchase voucher.
Creating a Sales Voucher in Tally
As I have said earlier, it is very much easy to create a Sales Voucher in Tally.
Everybody in the business loves sales. Sales is the bloodline of any business.
Let’s see how you can create a Sales Voucher in Tally. Here are the exact steps.
- From Gateway of Tally, go to Accounting Voucher.
- From there select Sales from the right hand sidebar or simply press F8.
- After selecting Sales, we have to pass Sales Entry. As we have already created the required ledgers, just pass the entry as shown in the picture below.
- We are passing the entry as Accounting Invoice and therefore there are no items. It is just for the sake of simplicity to understand Tally for new comers.
- I have selected Domestic Sales as a Sales Ledger.
- Basically, we are selling ₹15,000 worth of goods to Amit.
- After you written the entry, press Enter to save it.
- Congrats, you have successfully created a Sales Entry in Tally. As we have already created the required ledgers, just pass the entry as shown in the picture below.
Now without wasting any more time, let us jump off directly to create Purchase Entry in Tally.
Creating a Purchase Voucher in Tally
In order to run a business, we know that Sales are necessary but for selling we need to have something to sell.
That is where we purchase things in a simple business and sell it at a higher price to earn profit.
So, let’s see how we can create a purchase entry in Tally with very much ease.
Here is the exact step by step process.
- From Gateway of Tally, go to Accounting Vouchers.
- From there select Purchases from the right hand sidebar or just simply press F9.
- After selecting Purchases, we have to pass a Purchase Entry.
- I am purchasing ₹10,000 worth of goods from Rohan.
- After you have perfectly the written the entry as shown in the picture, press Enter to save it.
- This was the last step for creating a purchase entry in Tally and now you have successfully created it. Congrats.
This is how you can easily create both the Sales Vouchers as well as the Purchase Vouchers in Tally.
Now let’s see how it gets reflected in the Profit and Loss Account in Tally.
In other words, we will see how it affects the accounts in Tally.
Go to Profit and Loss Account from the Gateway of Tally and you would see both the Sales and the Purchase Vouchers which we have just passed.
Once you are in the Profit and Loss account, press ALT+F1 to see it in detail.
It will look like something in the image below.
See the Purchase Accounts showing Domestic Purchases of ₹10,000 on the left hand side of the picture.
And have a look at the Sales Accounts showing Domestic Sales of ₹15,000 on the right hand side of the picture.
If you go in further, you will find the same entry which we just passed in this post.
This is how we can easily create Purchase and Sales Entries in Tally.
Creating Sales and Purchase Vouchers in Tally
At the End…
Now, go ahead and watch the VIDEO, if you have still not seen it.
I am sure now you will be very confident in creating purchase entry and sales entry in Tally with very much ease.
If you have any kind of confusion or a suggestion or anything else, comment below and I’ll be happy to help you.
Lastly, SHARE this if you find it useful. It will help me and you BOTH.